A Quick Example HHHR Comparison – Eastern Bluebird – MC20 + 300mm f4 at 1/40 Second.

Started Jun 21, 2020 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,215
A Quick Example HHHR Comparison – Eastern Bluebird – MC20 + 300mm f4 at 1/40 Second.

This evening I decided to try HHHR photographing Eastern Bluebirds. I shot 39 HHHR images at shutter speeds of 1/30 and 1/40 seconds. Eight of these (20.5%) had no significant artifacts. Photographing birds at low shutter speeds while they look for insects results in a rather large percentage of images with significant artifacts.

I exported both the HHHR and regular RAW files as 16 bit TIFF files from Olympus Workspace using the default camera settings, except the Noise filter was set to Low. I PP the images in LR using identical settings and I reduced background noise and resized the HHHR image to the same size as the normal RAW image in Photoshop.

The HHHR images do have more detail, when the bird does not move. However, even small movements result in blurring of details. I would expect a higher percentage of successful images in better light with a faster shutter speed.

It would be nice, if Olympus had an ABORT option for HHHR, for those images where you saw the bird move during exposure. You must wait until the image is processed, even though you know the image will be deleted.

Images are uncropped.

Normal Resolution Image

HHHR Image Downsized to 5184 x 3888 20MP image.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow