Recommendations for long term storage: RAID or ??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP gilliano Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: Recommendations for long term storage: RAID or ??

WryCuda wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

gilliano wrote:

I think this is what I need: the combination of mirrored drives and the automatic backup/ copy/ restore sounds right.

Forget the "automatic restore" option.

My main problem right now is just time spent manually backing up and the occasional LR cataloging nightmare when I screw up.

I want to reiterate and to make sure you understand that RAID will not work as a backup for you. If you screw up your LR catalog a mirrored RAID system will make sure that the "copy" is exactly as screwed up as the original.

My "recent data" is small enough to permit historical backups, so that I can restore previous data from up to 12 months previously. Important projects also exhibit "version control", so that editing errors can be easily undone.

I have actually known students who have a single file called "PhD thesis final version", or similar, with no other preliminary documents at all.

Such as...

• Chapter1001
  • Chapter1002
  • Chapter1003
  • Chapter2001
  • etc.

I would love to maintain a historical backup system but getting into video is making it all so unwieldy. I should probably split the photo and video for back up purposes.

As far as students go about once a year I hear about one losing their whole thesis when they lose their laptop which had the sole copy. I have no idea how anyone makes it to graduate school without learning about the magic of thumb drives.

As a field scientist I have seen some very creative ways to destroy digital storage: Write in the Rain paper and SD cards will survive almost anything. Hard drives, laptops and tablets: not so much.

gilliano's gear list:gilliano's gear list
Canon EOS M5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow