Recommendations for long term storage: RAID or ??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP gilliano Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: Recommendations for long term storage: RAID or ??

Sean Nelson wrote:

gilliano wrote:

calson wrote:

The least expensive approach with NAS is to buy an enclosure (QNAP or Symbology) that takes 2 hard drives and use RAID1 that copies all data to both hard drives so each mirrors the other one. When one drive fails a replacement is put into the enclosure and the NAS will then copy data from the good drive to the new drive and at the same time you can access the data on the good drive.

I think this is what I need: the combination of mirrored drives and the automatic backup/ copy/ restore sounds right.

My main problem right now is just time spent manually backing up and the occasional LR cataloging nightmare when I screw up.

I want reiterate and to make sure you understand that RAID will not work as a backup for you. If you screw up your LR catalogue a mirrored RAID system will make sure that the "copy" is exactly as screwed up as the original.

Backups to external USB drives can be scheduled to run automatically as long as you leave your computer on overnight and you remember to leave a drive plugged in. In the morning you unplug the drive and squirrel it away somewhere, not exactly an onerous task.

Personally I do not consider backing up to a single external drive good enough insurance. Seen too many of them fail.

The LR catalog issue: I back up my internal hard drive to two separate external hard drives. I can point LR at any of the three drives as they are, in theory identical. Problem: creating two identical backups manually is time consuming and difficult to do perfectly over a long period of time, inevitably differences creep in. RAID is designed to automate this multiple-disk process and with only one backup action for each point in time there should be no further LR issues.

Using the terms calson has provided (NAS/DAS) I am finding what I need: consumer oriented arrays packaged with some various nifty software and hardware options and targeted at photographers so there is minimal maintenance. Some sync with popular cloud options natively, which would be cool if I had decent internet speeds.

So far I'm looking at Drobo and Synology but am open to other suggestions? Ideally whatever I got would be partitioned and back up to each partition on alternate days but as it's really just to back up my working hard drive I probably don't really need that.

gilliano's gear list:gilliano's gear list
Canon EOS M5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow