A9 with Tamron 70-180

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Joe Tam Senior Member • Posts: 1,291
Re: Tamron 70-180 Tracking at 15 fps on A9

I keep grabbing the manual focus ring when I want to zoom!  I guess it will take a few days to get used to it then I will reach for manual focus when I want to zoom on 100-400.

Michael Jardine wrote:

Joe Tam wrote:

Does the manual focus turn the same way as Sony? Is the zoom ring also turn same way as sony?

Both turn counter-clockwise to Infinity.

Zoom right turns the same way as Sony, but as you may have read in the reviews, the location of the Zoom and Focus rings is switched so that on the Tamron, the focus ring is closer to the camera body. I prefer this setting because on Sony zom lenses, depending on the length of the barrel, often the lens shade, if retracted, covers the front end of the lens and either makes manual focus difficult or impossible. With the Tamron, I can always focus manually. I do wish it had a manual focus switch.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow