Panasonic will announce the G100 soon.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,760
Re: downmaket force Model Merger, Re-Think lineup

007peter wrote:

Bernard wrote: Strange: The numbering doesn't make sense. The G95 is just over a year old, so that would be an astonishingly quick turnover. If they designate a "new" GH line or G9 successor, then it would appear like a downgrade, directly interfering with the G95 line. I don't get it really.

Agree that G100 numbering don't make sense from Existing lineup. Panasonic hasn't been selling well aside for the poplar G9. The entire lineup is overused for an overhaul.

Gh5/6/S will stay

G9 is a best seller for Panasonic will stay

everything else I think is subject to consolidation or out right elimination. G95, while new, compare poorly against Sony A6400, Fuji XT, Canon M6ii, so I can't rule out it might get the AX

The G95 is a line of product having its own market. DSLR form factor for better ergonomic over the GX and GF, remain relatively not as large as G9/GH5. While GX is already a very capable camera, G95 has just a little more on every front, e.g. DUAL IS 2 vs DUAL IS, WR vs non WR, Mic port vs nothing, more video profile, a few more setting and more physically controls...

G85 was once a very popular model back to the GX85 days and it is the most obvious choice for those who wish a bigger and more capable GX...

In G95's day, it faced a keen competition from its own bigger brother G9 on price vs capacity. IMHO Panny had played its trick on GF9 vs GX85. Once GX85 & twin lens combo cost not much more than a GF9. It had so successfully attracted a lot of upgrades, as well as non Panny shooters.

The very aggressive pricing policy of G9 has drawn a lot of buyers who originally might prefer a smaller G95... It is a success for Panny that even some non Panny users moved to G9, but at a cost of poorer market reception on G95. If G9 is not discounted so much, G95 should definitely be able to maintain its usual foothold among Panny's lineup.

I also think there is too many models. Sony APS-C has just 3: Top A6600, Middle A6400, A6100 for the low~end. Canon eos~m consolidated to just 3 as well: M6ii Top, M50 Middle, and M200 @the bottom.

I suspect G100 = New Direction for Panasonic replacing 1 or 2 combined models.

I would rather have another thought.

Currently, Panny has the:

• GF10 (entry) --> EPL10 of Oly
  • GX95 (upper entry ~ enthusiastic) --> EM10.3 of Oly
  • G95 (mid range) --> EM5.3 of Oly
  • G9 (flagship of still) and GH5 (flagship of Video) --> EM1.3 and EM1X of Oly

Now G100 will come as a vlogging oriented model, Panny might actually split up the G95 into 2 lines of products from now on, one for still (so being an economy line of G9) whereas the other for video (a new economy line of GH5).

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow