How to learn to direct/guide models?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
roby17269
roby17269 Senior Member • Posts: 1,826
Re: How to learn to direct/guide models?

Colin Creevey wrote:

Hello,

I recently had a one on one coaching session with a professional photographer and model in his studio. Being more STEM/technical minded I found the lighting side of things vastly more easy than directing the model and going through different poses with different variations. Prior to the shoot I read a good chunk of the book Light Science and Magic which I think helped a lot.
Other than just watching random Youtube videos, are there any good resources to learn about good poses for models (both male and female)? For example a book that shows/demonstrates good poses and also explains why each of the poses works (eg, why X leg is in front of the other etc).
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom

For me it mostly depends on you...

if you are comfortable with relating to others and lead them, you'll be able to get a lot out of pretty much anyone

if you aren't, it'd be better to start taking photos of experienced models that will give you decent poses / expressions without you having to sweat too much

I do this as an hobby so take my advice with a pinch of salt... but for me what worked was to start with group shoots where I did not get many great shots but I got a feel for it... then I quickly moved to organizing my own shoots (I now hate to share a model with another photographer) - it is way more stressful but you also learn much more. The catch would be... until you have a good portfolio you may have to pay models to pose for you. Depending on your bartering and networking skills and location obviously.

I've never looked at videos / books for this... just learned on the go

-- hide signature --

Ciao!
Roberto
My photos: http://rdmfashionphoto.com/

roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow