Z6 vs Z7 Image Quality Difference

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 30,024
Re: Z6 vs Z7 Image Quality Difference

Calibur wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

So let's say that in general you need to reduce your photos down to a 10 MP image and reduce the quality of the JPG output file.

Technically speaking the Z7 image downsized is going to yield a better quality photo than a Z6 file at the same MP. But in practice I don't think most people will see a lot of difference without scrutiny.

Yeah that’s was my initial assumption, That the benefits of the higher resolution wouldn’t add much additional quality if I viewed on a normal display (12 inch iPad Pro in this case) unless you are pixel peeping.

You’re gonna res both images down for that display? Then the only advantage of the Z7 will be better control of aliasing artifacts, especially false color.

What would be the advantages of the Z7 over the Z6 (if any) in this case? Or would the Z6 have any advantages?

Z7 has slightly better DR if shooting below ISO 100. The Z6 has slightly better high ISO IQ, although that advantage will mostly go away if downsizing the photos to 10 megapixels.

The Z6 reportedly auto-focuses a little better in very low light situations.

If you really are going to be reducing all your final images to 5MB JPG photos for viewing than I think a Z7 is way overkill.

Normally if you start with a higher resolution image and compress it, you end up with a better picture than if you started with a lower resolution image. However since both are full frame sensors, I'm not sure if this is still true.

I don't think full frame really plays into this. I think APS-C would behave the same way.

Right the sensor size doesn’t matter, what matters is the comparison between 2 different resolutions from the same sensor size.

24 MP APC vs 45 MP Full frame - Full frame will produce the better image once scaled down, assuming equivalent lenses.

24 MP FF vs 45 MP FF - images are probably? very close once scaled down so there isn’t much benefit of going higher resolution in this case.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow