4/3 body recommendations?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
johnpuziss New Member • Posts: 1
4/3 body recommendations?

Hi All,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I've been a semi-serious amateur for 40 years, and currently have a Lumix G85 and a Lumix GM-5 with a handful of Lumix lenses (12-32, 12-60 f3.5, 14-140 v2, 100-300 v1). Looking to upgrade the G85 body (I mainly use the GM-5 body when I want something small for stuff like mountain biking, climbing, etc).  I would mainly like better overall IQ, but faster/more accurate focusing for wildlife, etc, would also be nice. I shoot landscapes, travel, macro, wildlife, etc, mainly daylight, but would like to learn do more astrophotography/night landscapes. I can't really go try out in a store (damn COVID!).  Want to keep to around $1000.  I'm thinking of the following:

Lumix G9. Menu system more familiar to me, seems like it has great IQ and a great viewfinder, but is it much heavier/bulkier than G85?  (I have "medium" size hands).  how about continuous focus for wildlife?

Olympus M5 III.  Much smaller, more in keeping with 4/3 "philosophy".  Some concerns are smaller viewfinder, ergonomics with bigger lenses (I could get accessory grip, but increases $), clunkier menu, and (according to DPReview) continuous focus speed.

Oly M1 EII.  A little more expensive if new (about like M5 III with a grip), but bigger viewfinder and better ergonomics than M5 III.  How about menu and focus speed?  How's the IQ compared to the other two?

For the 2 Oly bodies, how would these work with my existing collection of Lumix lenses?

Sorry for the rambling, any insights/experiences with any of these appreciated.

Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow