Started May 30, 2020 | Questions thread
timgoo Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Finally Getting Good Focusing With Manual Lenses

charley5 wrote:

Dragon10 wrote:

This site offers some advice.

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/manual-lenses-sony-a7/

"The “flicker method”

If you want to focus fast and precise you can take advantage of a technical shortcoming of the electronic viewfinder (EVF). The camera does not use all the sensor information to generate the live-view image but it skips lines which results in the moiré-effect which we can use to our advantage.

You can learn to use it like this: The sharper your lens, the easier it is to see. Any 1.4/50 at f/2 should make it easy to see. Pick a subject with fine structures with some contrast like print or a carpet. Hold your camera steady and slowly focus. Now you should see sharp parts of the image to flicker. Once you know what to look for it is easy to see with softer lenses and

This method is more sensitive than the focus peaking and much less distracting.With this technique I usually get critically sharp images without using the focus magnifier button.

Tip 4: You can increase the effect by increasing the sharpening to +3 (Creative Style/ your picture mode/ Sharpness). This will result in over sharpened JPGs but if you are shooting raw this won’t bother you."

I haven't tried this as I don't have any manual lenses. Might be worth a shot.

Wow. Very interesting. I was hoping to find another focus aid alternative and this might be it. Thanks for the reference.

-Charles

Hi Charles, just wondering if you had any success with this flicker method? I was looking to get an a7ii for manual focus fun but using focus magnify sounds a real chore!

Any advice most welcome
Tim

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GF
GF
GF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow