How to pick a WA lens?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,620
Re: How to pick a WA lens?

I'd pick a lens based on weight, and width.   Nothing else is really going to make that much difference in the image, though each wide lens will have its own characteristics in terms of distortion, flare control, filter ability, and aperture range.

I had a 14-24 F2.8 back in 2013 when I was planning on a 3-week trip to Europe.   Problem is, it would not fit in my travel bag when I had a 24-70 and 80-400 in there.  So I bought a 16-35 for my wide travel lens.    It's generally been a better choice almost every time I didn't need wider than 16mm.    Thing is, if you are going as wide as 16mm, you may well be wanting to go wider than that.   Every 1mm on the wide end is a quite visible difference.   But 18mm is still a whole lot wider than 24mm, and it would give you looks you cannot achieve now.

By the way, I used to live along the Wabash for years.   6 miles south of Lafayette, IN.   There was a 3/4 mile long cornfield between my house and the Wabash that would typically flood each spring.   Walked barefoot down to the river many a time in my youth.  Even took a canoe ride down it one ill-fated high school spring vacation.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow