Panasonic will announce the G100 soon.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 1,993
Re: Panasonic G100 “keen price”?

SystemAgnostic wrote:

This makes the most sense to me, if it really is to be labeled as G100. It is a budget model, probably in DSLR format since it doesn't have an X. I'd guess it uses the same tech as a G85, with a few minor upgrades, in a cheaper body, sold only with a kit lens.

The G## lineup has always been a bit a bit of a middle child that is too expensive without enough technology. I'd rather get basically the same technology cheaper as a GX##, or more recently spend more for a G9.

Then it might be the true G7 successor.

I have a G7 and enjoy it.

G7 had a single number label, a DSLR like ergonomy, a very nice OLED EVF and advanced 4K photo and video features at its introduction mid2015, with many bells and whistles coming down from the flagship GH4.

Yet it probably was cheap to manufacture, thanks to its all plastic construction, no stabilization and using the old 16MP sensor. Thus it was marketed at almost entry level price, to challenge the Olympus OMD-EM10.

Thus, as regards the guessed naming rule, G7 should have been labeled with a 3 numbers, something like G700.

In 2015, a few weeks after the G7, Panasonic announced the GX8, a flagship model, the first using the (then) new 20MP sensor and best in class features, but with a rangefinder design. The GX8 name was in line to it being the successor of the well praised GX7.

About one year later in 2016, Panasonic introduced the G80/85.

G80/85 looks very much like a G7, same design and ergonomy, you need to have a very close look to see the differences, with most G7 features, but higher end weather sealed magnesium alloy construction, optional battery grip, and dual IS IBIS. Yet a two number design, whereas the entry level G7 had only a one number label, like the flagship G9.

A few weeks before the G80 in 2016, Panasonic had introduced the GX80/85 which proved very successful as it offered most features entry level or mid range customers were asking for (dual IS, 4K) in a very compact light built all plastic rangefinder design, sold in different bundles with a very competitive pricing.

Both G80/85 and GX80/85 had a new ectronic first curtain shutter to end the shutter shock dispute which plagued G7 and GX8 sales.

The confusion in naming rules increased when, in 2018, Panasonic introduced the mid range GX9, in which many costs and specs had obviously being cut when compared to the outgoing ex-flagship GX8....

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow