Does anyone have super-soft extreme corners on their 16-35GM?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
tonyz1 Contributing Member • Posts: 505
Re: Does anyone have super-soft extreme corners on their 16-35GM?

Jeff2013 wrote:

I'm thinking about replacing my GM 16-35mm with the Sigma 14-24mm DN.

I would like to realize the Sigma's IQ advantages. Part of my logic, is that the GM lens is weak at 35mm... the Sigma is strong at 24mm, so I could likely crop the Sigma 24mm on my A7RIV to get 36mm and be no worse than using the Sony lens at 35mm. With the GM lens weakness at 35mm, results would be marginal by cropping that FL to 49mm, so it is something I would rarely do. I base much of my analysis on the LensRental's MTF graphs for these two lenses (and their analysis is for the DG version, knowing that the DN version is even better!).

Hopefully, my logic is reasonably sound. We'll see.

Further note - the lens-critical folks over at Fred Miranda absolutely wax-poetic about the Sigma lens.

The Sigma is clearly better than the 16-35mm in their shared focal lengths but if you want a "16-35mm,"  I'd rather have the true 35mm of the 16-35mm over 24mm in crop mode - to me it's just not the same - I am using an A7R III however.

tonyz1's gear list:tonyz1's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a9 Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow