Does anyone have super-soft extreme corners on their 16-35GM?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
onfocus Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: Does anyone have super-soft extreme corners on their 16-35GM?

I believe the poor performance at 35mm only affected the first production batches, which was revealed by the LensRental test and probably got quickly fixed by Sony after the issue went public, except for the tilt issue.

Depending on the copy, center sharpness can actually reach prime quality already at F2.8 - equal or better than say the FE 35/2.8 ZA. Problem 1 are usually the borders, which are the weakest of the zoom range. Problem 2 is that most copies I tested were tilted at 35mm, so even midfield sharpness suffered either left or right.

Jeff2013 wrote:

lattesweden wrote:

onfocus wrote:

Having tested about 7 copies from various production batches up to date, I can say with confidence that the 16-35 GM does not deserve the G Master title in terms of edge sharpness. Depending on the copy tested edge sharpness will be good (but not stellar) at one focal length only, which might be at 16mm, 24mm, or 35mm. 35mm will most always have tilt defect (left or right side defocused), though. Sony lens production quality.

I really tried hard to replace my Sigma ART DG DN 14-24/2.8 with a 16-35/2.8 GM due to the more useful focal range and filter friendliness, but failed and gave up. The Sigma smokes the GM even at F2.8 in the corners and is much more consistent to highest sharpness levels across its focal range, and across the frame from center, midfield to the edges.

The Sigma ART DG DN 14-24/2.8 is currently the best WW zoom money can buy and beats or levels also top WW primes.

Interesting, the Sigma does look nice in some images I have seen. How is it with flaring when shot into the sun?

I'm thinking about replacing my GM 16-35mm with the Sigma 14-24mm DN.

I would like to realize the Sigma's IQ advantages. Part of my logic, is that the GM lens is weak at 35mm... the Sigma is strong at 24mm, so I could likely crop the Sigma 24mm on my A7RIV to get 36mm and be no worse than using the Sony lens at 35mm. With the GM lens weakness at 35mm, results would be marginal by cropping that FL to 49mm, so it is something I would rarely do. I base much of my analysis on the LensRental's MTF graphs for these two lenses (and their analysis is for the DG version, knowing that the DN version is even better!).

Hopefully, my logic is reasonably sound. We'll see.

Further note - the lens-critical folks over at Fred Miranda absolutely wax-poetic about the Sigma lens.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow