Jumpy exposure and focus with X-T4 video

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tony Northrup
Tony Northrup Regular Member • Posts: 124
Jumpy exposure and focus with X-T4 video

Hey, Fuji experts. I'm doing a comparison of cameras for YouTubers, which means testing things like autoexposure and continuous video AF, and I've run into problems with the Fujifilm X-T4. I hope someone here as figured out a setting or workaround (besides switching to manual, which isn't an option for this type of film-yourself scenario).

1. The continuous focus is very jumpy. It will lock onto my eyes beautifully, but then abruptly shift away and shift back. I'm using the eye detect AF in C-AF mode. It happened with the 16, 35, and 56mm lenses, in both 1080/60 and 4k/60. Is there anything I can do to improve this?
  2. Exposure changes are abrupt. Using manual shutter and f-stop and auto ISO, the exposure jumps up unevenly (look at the background in the first two clips of the sample video). Maybe it's doing full 1/3 stop jumps? Is there something I can do to smooth it out?

This video clip demonstrates the problems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fyFd43YF4s

FWIW, none of the other cameras we tested (the ZV1, M50, EOS RP, or iPhone) exhibited those problems. Of course, I've also reached out to Fujifilm directly, but they often don't respond.

Help?

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Fujifilm X-T4 Sony ZV-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow