Landscape and wildlife lens considerations

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Qimmiq Regular Member • Posts: 138
Landscape and wildlife lens considerations

I was hoping to get a few opinions on my upcoming lens purchase(s).

I currently have a Canon 80D with the following lenses: 24mm, 40mm, 15-85mm and 70-200 F4 (non IS).

I shoot landscape, nature and architecture which I'm quite happy with my current lenses. In the past I've also shot a fair about of BIF and wildlife using a Canon 400mm 5.6 which I've owned and sadly sold twice now.

I've been wanting to start shooting more BIF and wildlife and obviously my 70-200 doesn't have enough reach. I have been walking around the trails near my house a lot lately and have at least been able to get some shots of perched birds but even for them a little more reach would be nice.

So what I'm trying to decide is if it would be best to:

1) replace the 70-200 with the 70-300L so I could still use it for landscapes and walking around shooting perched birds (with a little extra reach) and also add a Tamron 150-600 G2 when I'm going out to shoot BIF and wildlife

Or

2) keep the 70-200 but add the 100-400ii and maybe the 1.4x iii.

Or

3) keep the 70-200 and buy another 400 5.6 with a 1.4x iii.

Which option would you go for? Any other suggestions are welcome!

Qimmiq's gear list:Qimmiq's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Canon EOS 80D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow