June 2020 Part 1 — This Month Through Your Adapted Lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Travis Butler
Travis Butler Senior Member • Posts: 1,354
Re: Scale Through Motion?

Alan WF wrote:

When I'm on-site... there's a sense of volume in the way the land dips and rises around you, that's missing from my photos. The ground has a folded topology, if that makes any sense; like wrinkles in a sheet, or one of those desk art pieces that uses a sculpted surface to guide water from a starting point down into a basin. (The latter is pretty close to reality; from what I understand, the Flint Hills are composed of layered shale and limestone with embedded flint nodules, and heavily shaped by the differing erosion rates of the three materials.) It's that sense of depth - the way the ground flows and channels the air, water and vision along their paths - that sets the region apart from the flat plains you see elsewhere around the midwest.

I've thought about this over the last couple of days.

My first thought was that perhaps motion could help, as cinematographers manage to capture scale when they need to.

My second thought was ... Ken Burns. A stitched panorama typically has enough resolution to support pan-and-zoom even at 4k resolution.

So, in the interest of stimulating discussion, I'm going to offer a recent landscape panorama and a FHD pan-and-zoom created in iMovie. I'm most certainly not a cinematography, but I do get much more of a sense of the folds in the foreground and a better appreciation of the mountains in the far distance. What do you think? Might something like this work for you?

It's certainly an interesting take! And I much appreciate you taking the time for doing the panorama and the Ken Burns. I'd also been thinking about motion, though in a different respect.

The Ken Burns pan/zoom definitely addresses one scale difference between a photo and being there - how you can focus on objects near and far and bring each one into prominence by doing so. It wasn't what I'd originally been thinking of, though.

The motion that catches my eye in person is how shifting position will reveal dimensions to the landscape - especially something that appears flat at first glance, but reveals dips and hidden mini-valleys as you change viewing angle and as the light shifts. I'm not sure how you could really reproduce that - you remember those old textured plastic cards, where as you rotate the card, either the image shifts, or a totally different image is revealed? That might do it.

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Travis Butler's gear list:Travis Butler's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow