For $999

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 15,450
Re: For $999

nnowak wrote:

Zen4Life wrote:

Somewhat related, would anyone know how the new 24-105 F4-7.1 lens would compare optically with the Fuji 18-55 F2.8-4? Specifically interested in sharpness comparison for landscapes...

Good question. I have not shot with the RF lens, but have used the Fuji quite a bit. The Fuji is a really nice little lens with very good image quality. It is a fantastic general purpose lens that works equally well for photos or video. From the sample I have seen, the RF lens has some soft corners with quite a bit of vignetting.

Realistically, I am not sure either lens is ideal for landscapes. The Fuji lens has really nice optics, but only goes to an equivalent of 27mm wide. The Canon lens has a more desirable 24mm wide end, but appears to lack the corner to corner quality you would want for landscapes. In either case, I think you would need an additional lens to augment one of these standard zooms for landscape use.

Current rumors are listing a consumer level wide angle 18-45mm lens for the RF mount coming in 2021. This could be the modern discount version of the EF 17-40mm lens and might be a nice compact landscape lens. You could also adapt the excellent EF 16-35mm f/4 IS L to the RP.

With Fuji, there is the 14mm f/2.8 (21mm equivalent) prime that pairs perfectly with the 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 as both Fuji lenses share the same size filter and the same lens hood. Another Fuji option is the existing 10-24mm f/4 zoom. Finally, there is the Fuji 16-80mm f/4 lens, but initial reviews sound like it might be better for general purpose/travel use than landscapes.

the L of the RF 24-105 f4 is sharp wide open across the frame and the IQ is remarkable

it's my landscape lens

I'll join it with hopefully a new rf 15-35 f4 L or the old ef 16-35 f4 IS L

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow