Sony 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 is sharper than ZA 16-70 f/4

Started Apr 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,603
Re: Sony 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 is sharper than ZA 16-70 f/4

NorCal Jim wrote:

Thanks for sharing your comparison photos and for such an interesting topic!

I prefer using primes (from my film days) and it was a stretch for me to buy the 16-70 lens. I later read some of the 16-70 threads on dpreview and was shocked at the controversy. It turns out that I ended up with an excellent copy, for which I was very appreciative.

Eventually, I sold my 16-70 and various other e-mount lenses since I much preferred to use the small, light and fast Olympus Pen Primes (well, the 75 f/1.8 isn't small) together with the EM5ii & Pen-F cameras. The major motivating factors were the size of the primes, the look and feel of the cameras, the better controls for handling and the 5-axis IBIS (no longer have a rock steady grip as I have aged).

I still have a fondness for Sony's amazing AF technology and have kept two APS-C cameras and an assortment of primes.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim

It's a shame really. I have the A6000 and the sensor is great but the lens selection is not fabulous. However it's at least decent now that we have the 18-135.

I have an Oly EM10ii and love the camera and lenses, but the sensor pales next to the Sony sensor.

If only we could have the quality of the M43 system and lenses with sensors as good as the Sony APS-C line.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow