V-Lux 5 queries

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JohnNewman
JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 812
V-Lux 5 queries

Hello

Although I've been around DPR for a while and made a number of posts elsewhere, I think this is first one on the Leica Talk forum. It's been many years since I used a Leica and never a digital version.

Basically, I have a couple of queries about the V-Lux 5 and, to a lesser extent, the D-Lux 7.  I currently shoot with a Sony APS-C camera (A6400) which isn't bad (although the menus are a nightmare) and am getting to the time of life when I truly can't be bothered with changing lenses anymore and find myself pursuing a different photographic path (more of which in a bit).

So, I've been considering adding a long zoom 1" sensor compact and the obvious choice would be a Sony RX10iv (as I already use Sony).  But it's quite heavy and more expensive than either the Panasonic FZ1000ii or its Leica equivalent the V-Lux 5. I can find plenty of reviews of the former but hardly any of the Leica. I do understand they are pretty similar but I wanted to ask forum members here what their thoughts were in relation to the V-Lux and whether there were any meaningful differences. My understanding is that the design might have minor changes, the jpeg rendering might be slightly different but the image quality from Raw and lens would be identical. Is this a correct assumption?

Secondly, I wonder if anyone here has compared the V-Lux 5 to the Sony RX10iv. Again, from everything I read elsewhere the general opinion is the Sony is sharper, may focus better and has a longer zoom (although 400mm equivalent is more than enough for me). Again, I would ask for any views.

If I go down the path of non-ILCs, it is likely I'll look for a smaller compact for ease of carrying and use whilst walking or cycling. This is where the D-Lux comes in. I have used MFT cameras in the past as well as a Sony RX100v and found the latter nice but of insufficient image quality at anything other than the lowest ISOs. The newer D-Lux 7 is therefore attractive for the larger sensor (and more mechanical interface) but, once again, I wonder if anyone has compared against a 1" sensor compact.

In terms of use, I hit the grand old age of 74 in a month and have just calculated I have been shooting for around 60+ of those years. I've photographed most things with most types of camera but now I don't print big, have no interest anymore in BIFs, sport and anything terribly fast moving (apart from grandchildren!) and generally shoot local, landscapes, travel and the afore mentioned kids. I want good IQ at reasonable ISOs (up to say 3200) and would love to rationalise with a couple of cameras that would cover just about everything I shoot. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium for the Leica versions as I feel I might get a bit better guarantee and service.

Sorry for the longish post but I'm getting to my "last camera syndrome" stage and want to get it right 

Thanks in advance

John.

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Apple iPhone 6s
Leica D-Lux 7 Leica V-Lux 5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow