Macro rig - My reasoning and questions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Indiglo50 Forum Member • Posts: 67
Macro rig - My reasoning and questions

Reframing and reposting a question from the sony thread:

I am an on and off macro shooter. Due to lock-down, have done more than usual macro shooting in the past few weeks. I use a Raynox 250 on my sony a7riii. I think I am ready to move to a dedicated macro lens. Below is where my head at, will appreciate your feedback.

My priorities:

Lens will be dedicated to Macro - infinity shooting and portraits are not big on my list. My budget is ~$500. So that rules our sony 90mm macro - the obvious choice. I would rather buy a  FE mount lens than adapt a lens - but I am open to options on this front. I do value compactness and lightweight.

Two contenders that I have so far:

Laowa 65 MM: I know its APSC lens, but based on reviews that I have read there is no to minimal vignetting at macro distances. It is super light compared to the 100 mm version. My biggest issue with this lens is low light focusing. High noise makes it extremely difficult to judge focus. But on the good side, image quality is excellent and it is 2:1

Signa 70 mm art: It is an AF lens. Focus is quite crappy, but I believe it will open up the aperture for focus acquisition making focusing easier in low light. It doesn't have 2:1 and is heavier.

Need some help in thinking this through. Any other lens that I missed?

Last, I am also thinking of investing in a focus rail. Amazon has dozens of products at all price points. I would like to spend less than $100. Any recommendations

Indiglo50's gear list:Indiglo50's gear list
Pentax K-S2 Sony a7R III Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow