How to pick a WA lens?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,168
Re: How to pick a WA lens?

dog house riley wrote:

Hi shooters, are you getting over staying in house? all from the covid-19.

Okay: I'm shooting more simple landscapes, or what ever you might want call them. My widest lens is 24-120 f4, I've searched Nikon 18 35 3.5 4.5 [2nd version] I had first back around 2000, for film, didn't care for it on digital. Also look at or have been looking at Nikon 16 35 f4?

The current 18-35mm uses a different optical formula than the original, but without knowing what you didn't like, I can't really say whether you'd be happy with it.  Here's a quick rundown of the wide lenses I've used on FX:

• Sigma 12-24mm Mk 1 -- I strongly suggest avoiding this one.  It was okay for film and DX digital, but with the D800 the flaws became apparent.  It stopped working after a D800 firmware upgrade.  Sigma USA not only couldn't (or wouldn't) upgrade the lens firmware, they diagnosed the lens with an AF failure.  So I traded it in for a ...
  • Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 -- Between a dreary winter and the current pandemic, I haven't had much opportunity to use this one yet.  But it's a massive thing, so I doubt it's too your taste.
  • 17-35mm f/2.8D AF-S -- Mr Squeaky!  Lens design has moved on since this c.2000 design, but it's still my preferred range for a wide angle zoom.  I'm on my second AF motor.  Once that motor started squeaky, I decided to keep using the lens until the motor failed.  That was a number of years ago, and I accept that each outing I might end up focusing manually.  While technically still a current Nikon offering, I can't recommend it for a D750.
  • 18mm f/3.5 Zeiss ZF.2 -- This is a recent acquisition, which I hoped would pair better with my own 24-xxx zooms than the 20mm f/2.8.  It's lovely mechanically and my test shots look fine, but as with the 14-24mm I haven't put it through its paces yet.
  • 20mm f/2.8 AF (pre-D) -- Well, it's small.  It's also a 36 year old optical design, but when you stop it down to f/8 or so, the only real issue is correcting distortion, and the Lightroom plug-ins do a pretty good job there.

If the 17-35mm were to die tomorrow, I'd likely replace it either with a Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 Opera ($649) or a Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8~4 ($599).

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +40 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow