Why Do I keep getting "Focus Cancel"

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JohnNewman
JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 809
Why Do I keep getting "Focus Cancel"

Hi all

I'm using an A6400 set to af-c and tracking wide. (Sometimes I use tracking centre if I want to focus on something small). But recently the camera seems to keep focus on the last area it focused on with the previous shot, the box sometimes turns grey/black (not always) and the words "Focus Cancel" appear on screen. No matter how many times I press and release the shutter button it stays focused on this one spot, usually somewhere to the side of the screen as I often focus and recompose and let the tracking do its thing and stay focused on the subject, which I often position on the thirds. Even turning the camera on and off doesn't cure it.

It's not a big, huge problem as I can press the centre button to put things back to normal but it's darned annoying as I have to take the camera away from my face to see what's going on and have definitely lost some shots whilst I'm fiddling about.

Has anyone any idea what's causing this please?

Many thanks,

John.

P.s. pretty sure it happens on all lenses but was particularly noticeable this afternoon when I went "light" with just the 16-50.

P.p.s. I'd just add that the body is Firmware 2.0 and the 16-50 is Firmware 1.0

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Apple iPhone 6s
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow