Buying options ?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 8,071
Buying options ?

I am stuck in a bit an overthinking bubble. I love my GX8 { I have 2 of the beauties } and they will not be going anywhere . However I would like better IBIS for video and a tripod based pixel shift, not bothered about HHHR . Other than my Oly 60mm all my lenses are Panasonic ,I do a reasonable amount of 4K video. While Panasonic does lead the way in higher end video stuff , Olympus latest 4K looks more than good enough for me.

I am not too concerned about size , I appreciate well built and good handling . I have zero need for advanced AF , S-AF in m43 has been very good for my uses since my GF1 . The video I do is done using manual AF so that is not much of an issue .

I have pinned down the contenders to the G9,E-M1II ,E-M1III and believe it or not the plastic fantastic E-M5 III. The G9 and E-MI II are at a great price point for what they offer . The E-M5 III may be a tad over price for my liking finally the E-M1 III looks very advanced but I am not sure that it has any great jumps for my shooting. I could be missing the wee unknown pros and cons that only users will have picked up on .

Whilst I have primes with good quality , is the 12-35mm up to the demands of pixel shift ? . I may consider updating it while I am at it , the 12-60 PL or 12-40 Oly are of course better priced as parts of kits . I know that you miss out on somethings like dual IS when you mix and match but I don't think it is much of an issue though again I could be missing out some gotacha's I am not aware of

The money is ready and god knows the camera market needs every penny these days 

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume
Feel free to tinker with any images I post

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 +11 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow