GR III: Which Ricoh optical viewfinder?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,172
Re: GR III: Which Ricoh optical viewfinder?

morepix wrote:

Upon a little bit of thinking about it, it seems to me the GV2 is not a proper fit to the GR III camera. If it is indeed, as Harold says, a 4:3 aspect ratio, it frames a crop on the sensor, which must be 3:2 full size. So the view presented by the GV-2 eliminates about 10% of sensor coverage at each side.

It therefore seems that Ricoh has been negligent in not making it clear that the GV-2 is already viewing a crop, not the whole width of the sensor. And so I hold out some slim hope that when the new "Street Edition" is released, the OVF offered will present a 3:2 view and may be named GV-3. We will indeed see soon, when the special edition is released in mid-July.

How do we know it’s a crop and not an ‘overscan’ (to think of a better term)? I’m not even sure the accuracy of the view is high enough to concern ourselves with the question. The very nature of an external ovf seems to invite a looser concept of ‘framing’ than an EVF or an LCD panel.

The thing that makes it very unlikely that Ricoh have changed the VF is that they are using the same product code as the current one.

-- hide signature --

'I don't take photographs, I delete them.'
Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow