Comparison of Rough Polar Alignment Methods

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 2,130
"Calibrated" Polariemeter+Inclinometer Best Rough Method for Sparing the Neck

Thanks for the replies Troll, Eric & Nighthiker. To me the conclusion of these tests is use the peep hole or polarscope to align the tracker once and find the correct deflected compass bearing on a Polariemeter. The inclinometer on those is too crude but cell phone or angle finders will do the job. So you strain your neck once to make the calibration & then use the Polariemeter/inclinometer going forward.

Yes laser pointers can work but no better than eyeball - unless your lucky. I've sometimes been able to get good 60" subs at 85mm but had trailing at 30" at 135mm using my DIY laser adapter. And its easier to rig a hot shoe to the Nano & some other small trackers to use a "calibrated" Poalriemeter than rigging a laser. Of course the Vixen has a hot shoe already.

Would have never expected the Polarie could handle the Sig 40mm beast w/o counterweights - an impressive little tracker.

FWIW, the Omegon LX3 is harder to adapt lasers or hot shoes to & it has steel components that deflect compasses. The LX2 had a peep hole instead of the polarscope on the LX3. I was able to find a rubber strip to wrap my laser pointer in & place it in the plastic clip but couldn't get it pointed correctly.

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm X-T3 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow