Using my X-T30 as a webcam

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
koushiro
koushiro Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: Using my X-T30 as a webcam

olipo wrote:

I’m doing exacly this with no issue. I’ve hooked my x-t30 up to an Elgato HD60+ and are using it as a webcam in Zoom and Teams.

I did change the same setting you mentioned. I’m also using the movie mode while streaming, in record mode. To avoid having the SD card getting filling up I’ve configured the camera to not store 1080 or 4k content on the card - only ouput it to hdmi (its in the movie settings).

I'm also doing this with my X-T30 in movie mode and an HD60S and it works great. You don't need to set it recording, though. I just set it to movie mode and it still outputs to HDMI without needing to record. You just have to turn off "HDMI output info display" in the video settings so that it doesn't show all the display info like exposure settings on the HDMI output. I guess that's kind of personal preference if they both work, but I'd rather just turn that off than having to set the camera to not save video to the card and start recording every time.

I think making sure the video is set to 1080p instead of 4k is probably a good idea. I don't even know if Zoom will stream 4k without compressing the crap out of it, but I doubt your colleagues would appreciate the bandwidth usage even if it did 😋

To anybody else wanting to set this up, I'll suggest an alternative to the dummy battery if your camera supports USB charging in-use. I didn't have a micro-HDMI cable so I bought a two-pack of adapters to use on a regular HDMI cable. The plastic around the connector is very soft, so I shaved down one side on one of the adapters until I could plug it in next to my (unmodified) Amazon Basics USB-C cable. And since it was a two-pack, I had a backup in case I completely trashed the first one 😅 I'm sure there are also cables with slim connectors out there, but I like this solution because I already had multiple HDMI and USB-C cables, so I only had to spend another $9 to get the two-pack of micro-HDMI adapters and two minutes with a pocket knife to get it to fit next to the USB-C charging cable. I'll include a link to the adapter I used in case anybody is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K21HSQX#ace-7568811058

koushiro's gear list:koushiro's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow