Suggestion for beginners: start with D76, skip the monobath

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Tomm111 Contributing Member • Posts: 777
Re: Suggestion for beginners: start with D76, skip the monobath

Steven Seven wrote:

D76 or ID11 are probably best for beginners

Why? What is so special about them to be "best for beginners". Why not Xtol or DD-X or HC-110?

OK if you are using Tri-X or HP5 you can't really go wrong with D-76 or ID 11. BUT I feel it is better to go with a liquid developer and not to have to mix anything, I stopped using D76 ID11 years ago when Sprint came out with their developer, I knew the owner worked with him for a while and did testing for him, it was as close to D76 1:1 as you could get. When TMax films came out they didn't work well with Sprint so I switched to TMax developer, sounded right and I have goten good results. Anyway I would now start with HC110 or TMax developer, no mixing to scew up, yes folks do, much simpler to work with but yes more expensive. TMax costs me $1.80 per 500cc tank at 1:4 dilution, but with slower films 1:9 works best so less expensive.

I worry about XTol due to needing distilled water to mix, haven't used Ilford developers as they weren't that available when I started photography. Photographers are so locked in their ways.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D300 Leica CL Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1cb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow