Manual focusing with A7Riv - best methods?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,745
Re: Manual focusing with A7Riv - best methods?

AlephNull wrote:
I use this lens on the A7R4, and when you nail the focus, the results are superb. This lens is very sharp, and the bokeh is attractive.

Note that it's pure manual focus, but not an entirely manual lens. It communicates with the camera, reporting focus distance and aperture, so the lens works in Aperture priority mode, and IBIS works. It also means that it will zoom as you move the focus ring.

Despite those who describe focus peaking as inaccurate, I find it a useful adjunct to help get the focus right.

If you use zoomed focus with focus peaking to get focus on your key point, then let go of the shutter button, then half press again, you can see the focus peaking results for the whole frame, because it won't zoom in again until you move the focus ring again. You can also turn off zoom on focus if you want (I don't).

I cannot tell if you will miss AF too much, but I discovered that I did not.

Thank you. Can I ask what your approximate focus hit rate is? Do you find you have quite a few shots where focus is off?

-- hide signature --

David

davidevans1's gear list:davidevans1's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow