In Memoriam: Clarence Gass, 1941-2019

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Travis Butler
Travis Butler Senior Member • Posts: 1,352
In Memoriam: Clarence Gass, 1941-2019

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansascity/obituary.aspx?n=clarence-alvie-gass&pid=194572220&fhid=20447

This is long after the fact... but I just found out, and since I've seen him mentioned here before, I wanted to share this.

Clarence was one of the classic camera repairmen - born and bred in the manual film era, but willing to do at least mechanical repair all the way up to recent digital models. He closed his shop in 2013 and retired, but continued to do occasional work out of his home after that.

Images from when he was cleaning/closing the shop. His love for cameras stood out everywhere you looked.

I first met him after buying a couple of cine lenses that needed a little work; the person I bought them from recommended Clarence as the best repairman he knew. He was interested in the idea of adapting cine lenses to the Q, and later helped me find classic K-mount lenses for the K-01 I'd recently purchased. I always enjoyed talking photography with him.

After he closed the shop, I lost touch with him for several years, until I heard he was still accepting work at home; I didn't want to disturb him in his retirement. The last time I saw him was last summer, when I took him a Takumar 400 that had the rear baffle plate come loose. He took care of it quickly, and we had fun chatting for a while after that; among other things, about whether digital had matched the resolution of high-quality film. He showed me some of his prints; I resolved to print some of my favorites out to show him the next time we got together.

I never had the chance, because I didn't want to intrude on him without the excuse of having some more work for him. ;_; According to the obituary, he passed away at the end of November last year, a few months after I last saw him.

I miss him.

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Travis Butler's gear list:Travis Butler's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +18 more
Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow