Suggestion for beginners: start with D76, skip the monobath

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
LinusZ New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Suggestion for beginners: start with D76, skip the monobath

Ok, I actually just created an account to reply to this.

Ive been shooting film for about a year and recently started developing bw myself. My first choice was ID-11 but after hearing about the cinestill monobath I decided it was a better fit for me. Let me give you some reasons why.

• Push/pull is entirely based on the temperature, not on the developing time. It’s a self completing process and longer development times just lead to longer fixing. It’s impossible to overcook your film, which i really appreciated, especially during the first few rolls where you’re not familiar with the process yet. Every roll came out perfect so far, even when I made tiny technical mistakes the chemical seemed to be very forgiving.
  • The quality is great, I’ve developed Hp5 at 400, 800 and 1600 and the results are perfect in my opinion (After 5 rolls Now I’ve never had any problems with uneven development btw)
  • may be different for you, but for me the price would have been almost the same if I built a chemical kit around ID-11
  • its reusable  so I don’t have to worry about where to dispose the used chemicals
  • And of course it’s simply faster, which is an added bonus

That being said, I will probably try ID-11 or D76 next as I’m familiar with the process now, but I still don’t regret buying the Cinestill product because it made the first attempts more comfortable for me.

I just don’t like people throwing shade on a product they haven’t even properly read the descriptions of, let alone tried it themselves. I did a lot of researching before buying Df96 and came across so many people that just didn’t trust the convenience of it and assumed it too good to be true without even knowing the characteristics of it.
In the end everyone can decide for himself what he wants to use, but one sided posts like these don’t really help beginners to make a decision IMO.

just my two cents on this topic, I’m looking forward to other replies!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1cb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow