How many of you enjoy shooting with the "older" models?

Started May 16, 2018 | Discussions thread
eya1 Regular Member • Posts: 277
Re: How many of you enjoy shooting with the "older" models?

Michael Meissner wrote:

eya1 wrote:

Hi Michael, was wondering where you are holding with these today?
My Em1.1 is several years old now and has some very nice wear on the finish around the thumb grip and front control dial as well as some scuffs on the hotshoe and the corners of the bottom plate. It's not going anywhere.
And neither is my Fuji. I am also shooting the original X100 which also shows signs of abuse. More so than the Olympus.
I'd love to upgrade but camera prices outside the US are quite high. Also, the economy is not at it's best right now - lol.

Lets see.

Stylus-1, still a favorite for a jacket camera where rain is not an issue.

Olympus E-m5 mark III -- I got this just before the lockdown started. For me, it has the magic 3 features I originally was hoping for with the G85 (OLED viewfinder, sensor-shift stabilization, and being splash-proof) but without the baggage of the Panasonic interface. It likely will replace the combination of both the E-m1 mark I (splash proof) and E-m10 mark II (OLED viewfinder).

Tough T5 -- pocket camera for when it rains.

Olympus E-m1 mark I -- now a backup camera. It served me well, but not having the OLED viewfinder meant I had problems using it in bright sunlight. Before my extended warranty ran out, I did have to send it in for warranty repairs twice (once for problems if the shutter speed was 1/200 or faster, and once for the USB/shutter release port not working).

Olympus E-m10 mark II -- As I mentioned in the article in 2018, I picked up a refurbished E-m10 mark II to use in bright weather since I have to wear polarized sunglasses whenever I'm outdoors in daylight due to migraines. Like the E-m1 mark I, it is likely to be a backup camera now.

Olympus E-m5 mark I -- In the 3 years since I got the E-m1 mark I, I typically have only used the E-m5 mark I for my steampunk camera, where I have 2-3 custom shells for the E-m5 mark I. I've been toying of changing the shells to use the E-m1 mark I instead.

Panasonic G85 -- I have several issues with the default way Panasonic does things. So now, the G85 tends to only get used for shooting video, since the Olympus cameras have a hard limit of 30 minutes, and I have several things that are much longer.

One of my issues with Panasonic is that if I have a scene with some amount of white in it (such as white shirts men wear at renaissance festivals or steampunk events or in photographing white birds), Panasonic will typically burn out the highlights of some of the white areas with normal metering. Olympus cameras tend to go just up to the maximum, but generally doesn't burn out the highlights. Yes, I can chimp, and adjust exposure compensation to avoid the highlights (assuming I have zebras enabled), but it can cause me to miss the decisive moment if I'm fiddling with the camera. In addition, during post processing, I have to bump the levels to bring the rest of the exposure back up.

My other main issue with Panasonic is their high ISO JPG processing is much worse than Olympus. I only shoot JPG, and in general, I tend to feel that I lose about a stop of light with Panasonic's JPG handling compared to equivalent technology from Olympus. This is after turning the settings down on both cameras so the NR is less agressive.

Panasonic FZ300 -- I will occasionally use this as a zoo camera if rain is expected, but in general, I have become tired of fighting Panasonic.

As an aside, I had originally budgeted for an E-m1 mark III, but when that did not have an OLED viewfinder, I went with the cheaper E-m5 mark III. With the money I had budgeted, I was able to pick up a refurbished Olympus 12-200mm lens, and now I feel less need for a superzoom like the FZ300.

Panasonic LX10 -- I bought this to replace the Stylus-1 for low light, no flash shots as a jacket/pocket camera. However, except for shooting wide angle (which is wider than the Stylus-1 can do), I find the 1/1.3" sensor of the Stylus-1 produces better results than the 1" sensor of the LX10, due to the Olympus noise handling. This is true even with the faster lens on the LX10. Yes, at wide angle it is faster, but the camera soon goes to f/2.8 and the superior noise handling of the Olympus and higher zoom win out.

The only real use I've made of the LX-10 recently is as a b-camera to the G85 to record video, since I can put it across the room, and control it with the phone app, and the wifi pant/tilt head that I have.

Lets see, in 2019:

• E-m1 mark I: 691 shots, 36.92%
  • E-m10 mark II: 599 shots, 31.66%
  • E-m5 mark I: 149 shots, 7.88%
  • Stylus-1: 119 shots, 5.97%
  • G85: 104 shots, 5.50%
  • FZ300: 87 shots, 4.60%
  • LX-10: 86 shots, 4.55%
  • TG-5: 42 shots, 2.22%
  • Cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S5 and then Samsung A20): 17 shots, 0.90%

So far in 2020 (including photos waiting to be processed):

• E-m5 mark III: 164 shots
  • E-m1 mark I: 175 shots
  • E-m10 mark II: 142 shots
  • E-m5 mark I: 52 shots

Note, the E-m1 mark I, E-m10 mark II, and E-m5 mark I shots were done in January at the Arisia science fiction convention before I bought the E-m5 mark III.

Hi Michael, thank you for the detailed response. I was curious to see how many of those older models you were still using. And I was pleasantly surprised to see you have held on to your investment while making very practical decisions going forward to ensure you have the right tools for the job. 
Also, thanks for including the number of shots taken; you're a light shooter. Did you hone your shooting skills in the film era?

eya1's gear list:eya1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jrg
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow