Of the G1X IV, G3X II and the state of things...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP RLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,555
Closing thoughts (for me)

nolten wrote:

I've said my piece above but I'll add this observation: Some of you guys might get what you wish. I've owned a number of G series cameras and Canon seems to make significant changes between models.

I owned the G10 and it was very different for either the G9 or G11. Different lens speeds and ranges and different sensor sizes and densities; the G11 had fewer MP than the G10.

Likewise the G1XII lens was tweaked in a number of ways from the original G1X. I preferred the original, some preferred the II.

The G1XIII, IMHO, bears no resemblance to either of its X predecessors other than the "G" camera body shape and controls which first appeared, I think, with the G7.

I've always liked the G P&S but I've always skipped generations waiting for the combination of lens/sensor that suit my preferences. I assume therefore that the G1XIV will be unpredictably different again and not just a change to the latest sensor and Digic.

I've been looking at different patents and combinations of mirrorless lenses this morning and have come away with a couple thoughts...

1. The G5X mark II lens, in fact, gives me equivalence to the G1X mark II, interestingly enough, and does it with a modern Sony 1" sensor. This is reminiscent of the G1X Mark II review where DPR correctly identified that using a larger, older sensor, married to a faster lens that it was too bad you couldn't combine them. The G5X Mark II, does in fact fulfill this omen.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-ii/7

2. If, you look at patents and what others have done with mirrorless APS-C lenses, and apply some logic, Canon can do a smaller combination in a PowerShot G APS-C via fast normal zoom or fast 35 prime than the M can/could, but it's pretty darn close (think M200+EF-M 22mm f/2 STM vs X100V). Likewise, even comparing the RP + RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro to a Leica Q, they're really close in weight and size, but a fraction of the price, and you can swap the lens. We essentially have a much cheaper Leica Q, already... Fascinating.

I'm not sure what they'll do truth told. But I'm more impressed with what we have now (G5X Mark II, M system and R system) in the wake of the analysis though.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
0lf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow