Is the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS made in Japan better?

Started May 7, 2018 | Discussions thread
gordonrussell76 New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Is the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS made in Japan better?

There are 3 places of manufacture for the 18-55mm

Initially manufactured in Japan

Then production was moved to phillipines.

When production of X-T3/30 was set up in China they set up a production line there for 18-55mm to produce kit lenses for the X-T3/30 and I guess now X-t4 kit bundles. Whether the entirety of production moved there or they still produce the boxed version of the 18-55mm in the phillipines I do not know.

I have owned 2 copies of the lenses both Japanese, both excellent.

I suspect that any variations people have had are sample variations not factory variations, I would not hesitate to buy a Philippines or Chinese made lens if I were to purchase it again.

Regarding IQ of the lens, sample issues aside, when you get a good one (and most are), how and why you use OIS is important, largely I would keep it off unless you are in seriously low light. If you follow this, you will get good results.

That being said some of my sharpest and best Landscape images, things I have printed at A1 and put on walls have come from the 18-55mm, its a very capable travel lenses

I say this as someone who owns 16-55 and 3 of the 1.4 primes in the same focal range, baring obvious improved low light shooting and bokeh, in other areas like corner sharpness and contrast, there is really not much in it.

gordonrussell76's gear list:gordonrussell76's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow