Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,596
Re: Rp ruined by old sensor tech

MAC wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

nnowak wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

nnowak wrote:

In the USA, the M6 II with the EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 and EVF-DC2 is currently $999. The EOS RP with the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 is now on sale for the same $999. Both kits get you an EVF and 24-XXX general purpose zoom. If you are already invested in the EF-M or RF mount, the price of the alternative is probably of little interest. If you are transitioning from the Canon DSLRs, the choice gets more interesting. While the M6 II is lighter than the RP kit, the RP kit is lighter than many of the crop sensor DSLR kits and much lighter than any of the full frame DSLRs.

I was really tempted by the RP for a minute, but the sensor is really bad. Has less DR than even 1" compacts and 4/3. Just look through any sample gallery and you'll find slightly clipped highlights and crushed blacks. Download some RAW files and try to edit them and you'll find the same thing where colors are easily clipped. The files can't really be pushed at all. It's a decent camera body, but it has a sensor that belongs in 2009. The only place where it beats the M6 II is at ISO 12800.

Not to mention, the AF, Video and shooting performance is higher on the M6 II (or any similarly priced crop mirrorless).

I'd say just get a used 6D for <$500 over the RP. Might as well get 10 year old camera prices if you are using the 10 year old sensor tech.

(And before someone calls me a DR snob, I'm not saying I need to push 5 stops, but when it clips significantly easier than even a G7X, then I'd say it's got a problem)

The RP sensor is far from state of the art, but to suggest that 1" and m4/3 sensors are superior is utter nonsense.

To be fair, I was only talking about low ISO DR. Obviously detail and ISO noise will be superior. I'm sure DR above base ISO will be better, too.

Correct.

Dustin Abbott shows you can push base iso 2 stops with the RP whereas 4 stops with the R

but as I said, with the control ring set to exposure compensation and having exposure simulation on board, I haven’t had any issues in getting the exposure right straight out of the camera. You can always bracket exposures if you need even more dr for iso

I really do think it’s perfect for me otherwise, maybe I’ll have a closer look.  I might be a bit overly critical after reading some negative reviews.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow