Bought a used Epson 3880 - no output at all

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,487
Request a refund, move on.

I bought a 3880 from a local craft lady. I think I got a good deal, but she did warn me that she hadn't used it for months, and she said "don't waste ink on cleaning cycles, clean the print tubes instead"

I wasn't sure what I was going to see when I plugged it in and tested it, but I sure didn't expect a completely white sheet of paper to come out from the print test.

Ink levels look ok, and she had 7 new carts for the inks that were less than half full (one of the reasons I was willing to roll the dice in the first place)

I tried the cleaning cycle/print head test built into the Epson windows software, and there was some output at least on the page (some black, grey, light grey and blue checkerboard patterns). But the printer started flashing a print error on the main screen.

Any advice on what my next steps should be? I found the videos about cleaning the head and wiper area with Piezoflush. Is that worth a try, or do you think the whole print assemble should be replaced before I go too far and replace any ink carts.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Request a refund. That is your most sensible approach. And if you can't get a refund, then IMO you accept this as a learning experience. I'm not going to sugar-coat it: spending any significant amount of money on a used inkjet printer without verifying that it works fully is a really bad idea.

As Bob (Petruska) said, this can easily be a money pit, spending good money after bad, and substantial amounts of it. If you can't get it working, then you can try various low-cost remedies like distilled water and household cleaners (Windex seems popular). Maaaaaybe with those plus self-cleanings using its own ink you can restore its function. If you can't get a refund, then with this approach you don't have much to lose, except your time.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow