For $999

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Carl LaFong Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: For $999

Alastair Norcross wrote:

nnowak wrote:

Zen4Life wrote:

Wouldn't price also have to not matter because each full frame lens you buy is going to cost you significantly more than EF-M lenses?

Depends a lot on which lenses you are comparing. For example, the full frame EF 85mm f/1.8 is less expensive than the EF-M mount Sigma 56mm f/1.4.

True (by a little). But I would take the M6II with 56 any day over the RP with 85. The RP is 2/3 to 1 stop better at high ISO than the M6II, so noise performance will be indistinguishable between them. And the 56 is a much better lens (I have both). And the M6II has far far better performance than the RP. If you're going to go full frame, the RP is not the way to go. You give up way too much compared with the M6II. This whole thing, which seems to come up quite often, of saying that you may as well go full frame, because you can get the RP for about the same as the M6II, and it isn't too much bigger, is very misleading. You are comparing a very basic entry-level full frame camera with a really sophisticated APS-C. If you really want to take advantage of what full frame has to offer, you will spend a lot more, and have a much bigger and heavier kit. That's fine. I might even do it myself one day. But let's not kid ourselves about what it takes to surpass what you can do with the M6II and good EF-M primes with a full frame kit. There is no free lunch.

I bought into the M system at first, because of the great deals on the original M. I stayed with it, and grew with it, because it offers amazingly good quality at low prices and small sizes. And it's such fun to use. I've been an avid photographer since I was a teenager, when I taught myself developing and printing, and loaded my own canisters of Tri-X from 100 foot rolls. I have never been as satisfied with my photographic gear as I am now with the M system. I carry an M with me everywhere I go. I simply wouldn't do that with an R

Ditto.

This sums up my feelings exactly.  And experiences too, right down to the Tri-X.

I bought into the M system a year ago, thinking it would be a stepping stone to R, but M has been so good that I cannot see any reason (at least for me) to also buy into R except for GAS.

I like M!

-- hide signature --

Quaero intelligere.

Carl LaFong's gear list:Carl LaFong's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow