Just bought an S1R...lens options?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Iuvenis Senior Member • Posts: 1,322
Just bought an S1R...lens options?

I'm a happy Fuji user for most of my photography. However, at one stage I had a Sony a7rii, then an RX1ii. Although I couldn't stand the ergonomics of either, so I moved them on, I always missed the big files for landscapes and interiors.

I never gave Panasonic a moment's thought, as the bodies and lenses seemed pretty big and heavy. I take a lot of my landscapes when hiking. However, I was impressed by the pixel shift files, and the focus speed was irrelevant considering what I'd use it for.

Then the 20-60 was announced, and I realised I wanted that lens. I never shoot wider than 20mm equivalent for landscapes, but I always needed a 16-55 and 10-24 to do that in the Fuji world (or any other manufacturer's system for that matter). This lens is one that seems designed just for me. In fact, paired with the S1R, I'll actually save a bit of weight from my hiking bag.

When I saw an S1R for a good price on ebay, I therefore couldn't resist. It's body only, and as soon as I can, I want to get that 20-60 on the front.

There's only one fly in the ointment - what to get for the interiors I shoot from time to time. 20 is often wide enough, but there are times I need wider. One option would be to keep the Fuji 10-24 for when I need to go very wide, but I'd rather stick to one body for interiors, and the S1R seems a pretty good choice for that sort of work.

Given size and weight are no object, the Sigma 14-24 DN DG seems a decent option, but I'm a bit worried about talk of moustache distortion. The Panasonic 16-35 seems to duplicate the 20-60 too much, so seems pointless.

If the 20 is a decent performer stopped down, I could use it for interiors too, supplementing it with a wide prime instead. The Sigma 14 f1.8 is massive overkill though, given I'll stop it down to f8 most of the time.

Is anyone adapting any wide angle lenses on the MC21, like the new Samyang 14 f2.4 for Canon? MF is fine, but I think the Samyang MF 14 f2.8 is a bit ropey distortion-wise. Or are there any other options I've missed?

Iuvenis's gear list:Iuvenis's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow