Of the G1X IV, G3X II and the state of things...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP RLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,554
You can only buy what is real

nolten wrote:

I think speculation is fun but ...

I really like my G1X3 just the way it is. I've not found f5.6 at the long end limiting for APS-C. You are not going to find an APS-C specific zoom lens faster at its long end than f5.6. Yes, the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS but it kinda makes my point.

It seems to me that the G1X3 covers the majority of bases quite well, and where it doesn't, the EOS M does. The M has you covered for wide, fast, macro, or long lenses. Heck, you can easily mount a 70-200 f4 IS L lens and get the f4 you ask for in a moderate weight lens. My favorite long lens on my M6II is the 70-300 IS II, but its f5.6. The one thing lacking for the M is a standard range zoom as good as the G1X3. I like having two bodies anyway.

For now I still prefer Canon's 24 MP APS-C sensor to the new 32 since Adobe can handle the raw colors better. The one feature I wish the G1X3 had is the M6II's focus bracketing/stacking mode. I'll upgrade if better comes along but right now this is the best gear I've ever had. Really wish it was less risky to get out and travel where the photos are.

Speculation is fun... But in the case of the G3X, said speculation is pretty heavy that it's "dead". That was a bit of a shock to me when I stopped to consider where we are and how we got here.

The G1X's future is a bit more bright, but what it is, or if we'll get it? I was surprised when we got the G1X Mark III, and that was nearly 3 years ago. The market has continued to contract and smartphones have gotten better, MILCs have gotten cheaper and more powerful also in the same period making the G1X IV, uncertain too.

What's interesting is the G5X Mark II and G7X Mark III may be the "end of the line" too.

It's all speculation, but it does agree with your point here: Better to buy something available now aka a real product, not a patent, rumor or wish, be it a RX10 IV or FZ1000 II instead of waiting for the G3X Mark II to appear, and likewise, buy the G1X III now, then wait for something that equally won't materialize potentially. 100% agree. In fact, it's logical when you consider history is a good predictor of the future. The DL died. It's a matter of time before the G series itself sunsets, in fact, it already is I think.

BTW, even products that are sunset, or sunsetting, are important and serve an important purpose while they're here... G1X III and G5X II included...

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
0lf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow