Of the G1X IV, G3X II and the state of things...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
nolten Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Re: Of the G1X IV, G3X II and the state of things...

I think speculation is fun but ...

I really like my G1X3 just the way it is. I've not found f5.6 at the long end limiting for APS-C. You are not going to find an APS-C specific zoom lens faster at its long end than f5.6. Yes, the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS but it kinda makes my point.

It seems to me that the G1X3 covers the majority of bases quite well, and where it doesn't, the EOS M does. The M has you covered for wide, fast, macro, or long lenses. Heck, you can easily mount a 70-200 f4 IS L lens and get the f4 you ask for in a moderate weight lens. My favorite long lens on my M6II is the 70-300 IS II, but its f5.6. The one thing lacking for the M is a standard range zoom as good as the G1X3. I like having two bodies anyway.

For now I still prefer Canon's 24 MP APS-C sensor to the new 32 since Adobe can handle the raw colors better. The one feature I wish the G1X3 had is the M6II's focus bracketing/stacking mode. I'll upgrade if better comes along but right now this is the best gear I've ever had. Really wish it was less risky to get out and travel where the photos are.

nolten's gear list:nolten's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
0lf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow