Canon 70-300l plus extension and teleconverter

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Muggo
OP Muggo Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: Canon 70-300l plus extension and teleconverter

davel33 wrote:

Muggo wrote:

I have a 70-300l and know it can't be used with a teleconverter as part of the lens protrudes into the camera body.

1. It got me wondering if adding a short extension tube (12mm) would give clearance so a Canon TC could fit.

My combo would be 70-300l, 12mm extension (with contacts), Canon 1.4TC Mk 3, 5Dmk4.

Has anyone tried this combo, would I still have 61 AF points and what's the IQ like?

The EF 70-300 L will work with the Kenko "Teleplus HDpro" 1.4X, its the newest 1.4 they make. I have one and did some testing* with and without the extender on an EOS R. I could see no difference.

The only problem is it does not report the aperture of the lens with the extender but only the aperture of the lens.

Also it will lock up the R if I mount the EF 85 1.4 L. Would be nice to have a 120mm f2

Thanks Dave.  I wouldn't mess with Kenko as I'd need to be 100% certain the TC would work with my kit. My 5D Mk4 gives 61AF points with a 5.6 lens & the Canon 1.4 iii, so that can't be beaten.

Muggo's gear list:Muggo's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow