Built-in 25x Optical Zoom vs separate Tamron 18-400mm lens

Started Jun 9, 2020 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MannyDMG New Member • Posts: 1
Built-in 25x Optical Zoom vs separate Tamron 18-400mm lens

I am a relative newbie to the world of photography. I am interested mostly in bird photography and from what I've read on the web, it is recommended that we use a telescopic lens of at least 400mm to be able to take good close-ups of birds on trees, etc. A good camera like the Nikon D5600 + the Tamron 18-400mm lens will set me back about $1400 or thereabouts. However, I noticed that there's a Sony RX10-M4 which features a 25x optical zoom (24mm-600mm) lens and costs about $1600. So, my question is: Is the 600mm max of a built-in lens as featured in the Sony camera actually going to be as good or better than the separate Tamron 400mm lens? Are separate camera lenses somehow built more "professionally" or with greater quality/precision than the ones that are built into the camera body (like in the case of the Sony)?

Nikon D5600 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow