Does anyone know what type USB plug Oly E-M10 Mk II uses?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,875
Re: Does anyone know what type USB plug Oly E-M10 Mk II uses?

Bob Carstens wrote:

Not sure you can control the EM10ii via a cable. On the computer the only way I've found so far is the Camera Control program talked about in various threads on dpreview. From my iPhone/iPad I can use either O.I. Share or Cascable apps. but all these use wifi. Would be interested in a method to do this with a cable.

Fully control with a cable, is impossible, as I believe Olympus does not provide the firmware to Camera Capture. According to the Olympus USA capture website the compatible cameras are:

• OM-D E-M1X
  • OM-D E-M1 Mark III
  • OM-D E-M1 Mark II
  • OM-D E-M1 F/W version 2.0 or later
  • OM-D E-M5 Mark II

But if you just want to use a remote shutter release that is possible.  You can get various RM-UC1 clones on the inter-tubes (RM-UC1 is the Olympus official cable for shutter release).

This link: Camera remote pinouts shows the pinouts of most cameras to make shutter release ables.

If you are going to make your own shutter release (for example, connecting it to an Arduino), it may be simpler to buy a pre-made cable.  Some of the third party shutter releases use a common shutter release shell (either wired or wireless), and a camera specific cable that connects the camera to the shutter release shell.  You could connect the three pins to your own setup.  For example, this JJC cable has the 12 pin Olympus cable on one side, and a 3 pin audio 2.5mm cable on the other.

For example, in 2012, I made a telegraph key act as a shutter release.  The Arduino would connect the focus and ground pins while the telegraph key was held down (i.e. tell the camera to achieve a focus lock).  When you released it, the Arduino would briefly connect both the focus and fire pins to ground to tell the camera to take the picture, and then release both pins.  When the pins were released, it would echo in Morse code "Fire" on the buzzer.

Arduino telegraph shutter release key

Detail of the Arduino telegraph key shutter release

Arduino Telegraph key pinout

While I made it for my steampunk camera setup, I haven't really used it that much.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow