So difficult to choose between 12-40 F2.8 and 12-45 F4

Started 4 weeks ago | Polls thread
kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,792
Re: So difficult to choose between 12-40 F2.8 and 12-45 F4

AlmostDoctor wrote:

The poll shows a pretty clear favoritism for 12-40, so I think the general consensus is pretty clear.

But one thing I wasn't really thinking about, is what I'm planning on adding to my kit down the road. Some decisions can wait, until it's a better time.

For example, I know it hasn't even been announced yet, but upcoming Olympus 8-24 would make it a fantastic walk around lens, if it doesn't end up being too large, heavy, and expensive like PL10-25. It could arguably make a better default walk around lens than 12~XX zoom lenses for travel, and I would be very interested in adding that to my kit down the road. This could potentially diminish my desire to use 12-40 as my standard zoom lens. Rather than having to carry a wide zoom (currently Lumix 7-14) and a standard zoom, it might make more sense for me to use Oly 8-24 F4 as my standard zoom on EM5III + Lumix 42.5 F1.7 on my GM1.

I'm also planning on adding PL 25 F1.4II at some point. It's the smallest weather sealed prime in the system and I don't have a 25mm prime, so it's a no brainer. It's just that I don't feel the need for it right now so this can wait till I stumble on a good used deal.

I'm now starting to think that the better lens to get for now is 17mm f1.2 Pro...which will give me the missing Olympus features, pro cap L and focus stacking. I already have a few good small primes in similar FOV, but owning one of the best lenses in the system in a pretty versatile FOV is quite tempting, even if it's just to have for my own enjoyment. And when the 12-45's used prices drops down the road, I guess I can add to my collection rather than replacing my 12-35.
I can't really travel right now because of the covid situation so a travel lens like 12-45 might be less useful to me anyway. But I can see 17mm f1.2 coming in handy for enjoying photography at home taking creative environmental portraits of my pets, my wife, etc...

Glad you've thought it through. Good for you. Looks like your head is on straight. That 17/1.2 is interesting. I have the 25/1.2, but it seems to need stopping down a notch or two for best quality. Doing it again, I'd probably choose the 25/1.4 that you have your eye on. Anyway, more power to you, and please let us know how that 17/1.2 works out. If it is sharp at f1.2, I may be the next one in line for it.

By the way, I have the Oly 8-18 and it is great.  Might consider it for a walk around, with the 25/1.4 - could be a killer combo.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Nikon Coolpix P610 Panasonic ZS100 +41 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow