Comparison of Rough Polar Alignment Methods

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 2,128
Re: Comparison of Rough Polar Alignment Methods

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Very helpful.

Thanks

So the smartphone compasses are deflected by the Polarie? I thought they worked off GPS so they shouldn't be.

See post on this.

I do find the most accurate method with the Polarie is the polar scope. But as you say you need to set up the tripod so you can kneel behind it. The older polar scope does not have an illluminator. I got a Skywatcher one and its OK but does not really turn off.

Do you find the SW illuminator can be dimmed enough to allow clear view of Polaris?  Did you find a US source?  Unfortunately postage from GB to USA is expensive for eBay sources.

I get up to 60 seconds at 14mm with smartphone inclinometer and compass.

That's what I'd expect for this FL.

I saw this wonderful feature on a prototype Toast Techonologies Polar alignment that used GPS and you simply adjusted the mount until a dot was in the centre of a circle it created. I haven't seen that come to market though.

Greg.

I'd expect a purpose built alignment system can be calibrated for magnetic deflection.

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm X-T3 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow