X-Trans I vs X-Trans III - Astia JPG Portrait Shootout

Started 4 weeks ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 1,911
X-Trans I vs X-Trans III - Astia JPG Portrait Shootout

I've been doing a lot of testing of various cameras for portrait photography under controlled situations. Custom white balance. Manual exposure using the zone system. (any differences caused by Exposure or White Balance should be minimal.)

I was struck with how different the Fuji X-Pro1 (X-Trans 1) and Fuji X-Pro2 (X-Trans 3) are. The Provia color profiles are very different.

Astia too is noticeably different, and since Astia is the "portrait" color mode, here are the X-Pro1 vs X-Pro2 side by side.

I noticed fewer differences in Pro-Neg Hi - it seems desaturated enough that color differences aren't as pronounced.

Vote on the one you like the most, left or right.

The photos are small but enough to get a sense of the skin tones. Click on "Original Size" for a closer view.

The camera order was chosen at random.

I'll reveal which is which after a decent number of votes accumulate (or if enough time passes without votes).

saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Nikon D7000 +6 more
POLL
Left
81.1% 77  votes
Right
14.7% 14  votes
Neither/Both
4.2% 4  votes
  Show results
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow