32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor

Started Jun 17, 2019 | Discussions thread
Melbourne Park Senior Member • Posts: 2,694
Re: 32" or 34" 4K IPS Monitor

I thought I should post. I bought an HP Z-32 for my wife to use for her home office. She uses it for emails and Word documents, using MS Office, using two HP Elitebooks - a 15" and a 13". The 13" one is almost 3 years old. IMO the small one is better quality than my 2017 Macbook Pro 15.4", which has an extra GPU with 4GB RAM in it. But its too thin and its keyboard lacks feel, and also, its not coffee spill proof which IMO is unsuitable for any decent notebook.

I bought the Z-32 from HP support who offered a better price than their web site.

However the monitor has not been able to offer Picture in Picture or Picture by Picture.

When the monitor acknowledges its inputs as being Type-C graphics "active" and HDMI "active" - hence both of the two notebooks are connected to the monitor - in the PIP menu, one can change the setting to PBP (Picture by Picture) inside the PIP menu. When doing so, the Picture by Picture menu shows that the video enabled connections offer Displayport 1 or Displayport 2, and will ignore one of the two active graphic inputs. Hence the monitor is faulty. Picture By Picture never attempts. Picture in Picture results in a black rectangle on the screen, the rectangle has no content. Or the majority of the screen is black and the rectangle showing one of the notebooks display information works. Incidentally the PIP mode would be useless for a computer as the text information is too small to see. Fine for a video in the back ground etc. but IMO Picture by Picture is where the game is likely at for dual computer users.

I have spend 8 hours talking to HP over this issue, they have agreed to refund the money and take the monitor away. Hence I am looking for a monitor that works with two notebooks and also has easy to use controls.

I had started out wanting USB-C due to its ease of use and its notebook charging capability.

I now think that an easy menu system and a responsive hand shake with a connected notebook is more important than USB-C. It seems Dell are higher up the tree on good software than the other three monitors mentioned. In Australia an LG 32" either is a VA monitor or its more expensive, due I think to being full Thunderbolt 3 input capable.

I also had to buy for the HP monitor an Apple T3 cable suitable for "Alternative mode", which is when a Thunderbolt equipped PC connects from its USB type-C Thunderbolt outlet to a USB Type-C monitor input. The computer will switch modes and allow both displayport signal, a USB-2 data path, a 3840x2160 @60Hz video signal and accept a full charge from the monitor's USB type-C port, if the port is equipped from the monitor to provide enough power (typically 60 watts - the HP has 65, the Dell 90 watts).

The HP monitor does not rotate to vertical and portrait mode, which does show its restricted software IMO. Rotation is not suitable for VA monitors either, due to at 90 degrees angle they look bad. Or so I have read.

The HP looks well made and cooled IMO. Its screen looks good IMO. Its stand is excellent quality IMO. Its buttons are poorly situated IMO, and the software is deficient IMO. It does not appear to have any hardware checking setup either. The Dell does.

So for single computer usage, or single image usage-ie not both images from two active computers - the HP looks a good choice unless portrait mode is required.

The Dell appears to have better software, better button location and simpler software access IMO. It includes a suitable USB-C alternate mode cable (good ones are not cheap). I bought for my wife a good wireless keyboard and mouse which switches from computer to computer by dedicated buttons on the keyboard and the mouse. With the Dell that would not have been necessary as it has quick switching software for a single keyboard / mouse access.

Incidentally I have an Eizo 24" monitor that was costly. A ColorEdgeCG243W monitor, connected to a Mac Pro. That thing looks quite dark because it has to if one is imitating print. With that setup I can print a profile, have a screen scanner scan the printed profile on the monitor, calibrate the monitor, add the calibration profile to the software, and print and I get what looks exactly like what I saw on the Eizo. Remarkable. A shame it costs so much to print though!!! But the monitor is super good and beautifully made. No comparison to modern tech IMO. I am not sure about current Eizo quality. I wanted 24" for mac because their operating system was not good for me at 27" or a larger screen - the menus got to small. This is not an issue with Windoze. Its Windoze big advantage IMO. Strange Apple never fixed such a basic mistake with its more and more cumbersome OS IMO.

Let us know which monitor is best ... the issue with the Dell is its the most costly, by around 18% more than the HP in Australia. But maybe its worth it. It is beyond my comfort zone but then I know my wife will enjoy it because of its software and more thorough development for my wife's niche of two notebooks.

-- hide signature --

"It was perfectly clear to us that something so principally new and tradition-defying as this camera would only be accepted with the greatest reservations by most photographers."
- Dr. Max Berek (designer for the original Leica camera lenses)

Melbourne Park's gear list:Melbourne Park's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow