So difficult to choose between 12-40 F2.8 and 12-45 F4

Started 1 month ago | Polls thread
kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,795
Re: So difficult to choose between 12-40 F2.8 and 12-45 F4

I have the 12-35 and the 12-40.  The difference in reach is about the same.  If you are annoyed with the reach of the 12-35, you will also be annoyed with the reach of the 12-40.  For the record, I think the 12-40 is a much better lens, and focuses closer.

I passed on the 12-45 because I have the other two.  OK.  It is lighter and is supposed to be very good, but I could not justify the expense.  Also, it is not that much longer than the 12-35, and is slower by one stop, so factor in a possible annoyance factor there.

IMHO, if you want to do it right - get the 12-100.  It is a super lens at all focal lengths and f stops.  It is far more versatile than any of the other three lenses mentioned.  It is a little heavier, but not that much.  I don't mind carrying it on my EM1 Vii or my EM5iii.  I do have the extra grip on the EM5iii, but in your shoes, that's the lens I'd go for.

If used on the EM5iii just don't be stupid and dangle it by a strap attached to the tripod screw or carry it on a "clip" attached to the tripod screw.  Wrist strap or long neck strap attached to the "carry" lugs.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Nikon Coolpix P610 Panasonic ZS100 +41 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow