So difficult to choose between 12-40 F2.8 and 12-45 F4

Started 1 month ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlmostDoctor Regular Member • Posts: 486
So difficult to choose between 12-40 F2.8 and 12-45 F4

I'm planning on getting an Olympus standard pro zoom to pair with my EM5III.

I already have Lumix 12-35 F2.8 but I'm planning on trading it in. I originally got Lumix because I was using GX85, and I wanted the smaller size and slightly higher T-stop (according to Dx0) of 12.35. But since then, I have grown to be annoyed by the lack of close focus distance and the reach. 12-35 cannot focus up close at all and 35mm on the long end is just short enough to be annoying. More importantly, paring up EM5III with an Olympus pro zoom will open up focus stacking and Pro Capture L. I'm particularly interested in Pro Capture L since it allows for CAF unlike Pro Cap H.

Now, the problem is, which one should I get? I have kind of ruled out 12-100 since it's a little too big for my liking. The other two lenses both have trade offs that are different, but rather evenly matched.

12-40 F2.8

Pro: Brighter aperture, Fn button, manual focus clutch.

Con: Noticeably heavier and larger than 12-35 or 12-45. Not super sharp on the long end. Just barely long enough for a typical portrait lens.

12-45 F4

Pro: Smaller and lighter, longer, better weather sealing, sharper on the long end? Some people have commented on smoother rendering of OOF areas but I'm not sure how true this is since there aren't that many sample images from this lens to get a good idea.

Con: Darker (possibly higher T-stop than 12-40 at same aperture, according to one comparison review), no LFn, no manual focus clutch.

Overall, the major benefit of 12-40 is speed, more value (~$550 used), and the LFn/manual focus clutch. I've noticed that EM5III struggles to focus in the dark more than lumix so having manual focus clutch might come in handy. Given that a lot of pros use this lens, it should be plenty good for my needs really. One major advantage of this lens might be for video, where F2.8 on a zoom lens could come in handy.

On the other hand, additional reach and smaller size of 12-45 could make it a better travel companion, especially since I will always carry some primes if I'm travelling. But the F4 would make it a worse fit for a one-lens solution. Also, since it's really not available used yet, it'll cost more than buying 12-40 used. 
I would love to hear from others who chose either 12-40 or 12-45 (or both)

AlmostDoctor's gear list:AlmostDoctor's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +7 more
POLL
Olympus 12-40 F2.8
43.7% 38  votes
Olympus 12-45 F4
29.9% 26  votes
Get 12-40 F2.8 now, then add 12-45 F4 when de-kitted lenses become available cheap.
8.0% 7  votes
Other (Comment below)
18.4% 16  votes
  Show results
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow