Sony 2X tele converter with 70-200 2.8 for sports AF & IQ

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,238
Re: Sony 2X tele converter with 70-200 2.8 for sports AF & IQ

Chewbokeh wrote:

I have an A9 with 70-200 2.8 and ordered the Sony 2X TC. I intend to use for indoor competitive swimming occasionally instead of buying the 100-400GM or 200-600. I read many conflicting reviews about AF speed and quality online so would like any real world experiences using a similar combo of camera/lens and your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I own both Sony TC's. The 1.4X is my favorite out of the two.

The glass quality of both is really GM excellent (despite what you may hear). However the biggest issue with the 2X is that it robs you of two full stops of light.

This means that your images might sometimes appear less sharp (esp. with the 2X) because you might more often have to crank up the ISO to get a good fast shutter speed for sports (especially if you are in poor lighting). This can have the effect of introducing more ISO noise (easily fixed in post for the most part).

At least that's my own experience using them (the 1.4 loses less light than the 2).

I especially love the 100-400GM and 1.4X combo, I find that I rarely use the 2X these days.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow