NX500 as the near perfect compact camera

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,681
NX500 as the near perfect compact camera

We all know how good the NX500 is but I just wanted to add that in my opinion it was close to being perfect for me (but not quite).

For stills I have no complaints - there are a variety of excellent compact lenses available, from the 16-50mm pz, to any of the small primes and even the 12-24mm. The 10mm is also good and compact, although arguably niche.

Where the NX500 could be better is in terms of video. For me it's frustrating that there is a 4k crop. I thought that the NX1 and the NX500 had the same internals but that can't be the case. Equally there is no DIS on the NX500 and 120fps is limited to 720p, so clearly the hardware must be inferior, or somehow limited.

What's also a shame is that there isn't a truly great compact video lens. The pz is great for outdoors and good light but there isn't anything that good for low light. It's not really feasible to use the primes as they aren't stabilised. If Samsung had released a 20mm f2.0 with OIS and great, silent autofocus that would have been amazing.

I've recently acquired an RX100v and I'm wondering whether this is actually better indoors due to the f1.8 at the wide end, and oversampled 4k. I haven't done the calculations to compare f1.8 on a 1" sensor Vs f3.5 on an apsc sensor but I imagine its close. If you then shoot 4k on the nx500 any advantage that the rx100v would have would surely be more pronounced.

Anyhow, enough rambling, I just wish Samsung had remained in the market long enough to release a successor to the NX500 that addresses some of these issues (and perhaps added a mic jack). I would say the same about the NX1 but that camera in my view is not really lacking in any area.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony RX100 V Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX5 Samsung NX500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow